Memphis Part 1

I want to thank everyone who has asked when I was going to post another blog post. Thank you so much for the interest!! Its been a busy few weeks. So I will try and catch up...hope you enjoy!


Two weeks ago this weekend my TDH (Tall Dark and Handsome) and I took a long needed trip away. I think some times its not where you go, but who is with you that matters...don't you agree! He has moved stores and works from 7am-7pm Sat-Fri....with an occasional day off. Its a good "Career" move and it is only temporary, but it sure is painful at the moment. He got a weekend off and decided to go to Memphis...its close, and its not home. Loaded up the car, took Caden to his Nana and Pawpaw's and off we went.

We were so excited to be baby free!!! Just the two of us again, like old times...not a care in the world. After about an hour of talking, our thoughts went back to Caden. Isn't it crazy how bad you think you need to get away from your kids, but when you do get away you feel like your heart is missing? It was "Cadenisms" the rest of the trip.

We didn't really have a schedule, and we had no idea when we would be back. Just knew we needed to get away.

It was late when we got to our Hotel. So if you know us...we went to two Walmart's in the local area to scope them out. Don't judge us. We do it where ever we go. We can't help it. Had some Mexican food and like two very old people we were asleep by 9.

Up at the crack of the afternoon...10, just in time for checkout! Then off to Memphis we went. (We didn't stay IN Memphis, because I wanted to come home alive) Downtown Memphis is a sight to see. BEAUTIFUL! We had the best hamburger EVER at Huey's Burgers. Seriously. We both were in the mood for a hamburger, but didn't want the same old same old so I googled it. This place got a 5/5 stars...guess that means its good?? We were about 2 miles away from this place and I could smell it...I am not lying. Oh the streets smelled yummy. It's one of those places that has names on the walls of everyone who has ever been there, toothpicks in the ceiling tiles from hundreds of thousands of customers who have attempted the "toothpick launch" and the people who worked there treated you like family.

Madison Avenue Burger this is the burger I had...oh my goodness!!


Note to self...no need to order fries with Hamburger. You wont eat them. Not that they aren't delicious, but you don't want to waste the space in your stomach for fries when burger is EPIC. (That word is over used, but really its the only word I have for it.) When you have got "Glutton" written on your forehead, they will hand you your ticket and help roll you out the front doors...Phew. I am full just thinking about it.

There is a trolley ride that takes you around Memphis for $1! Its well worth it and so much more!! Shops, restaurants, apartments, the riverboats, art, random people in the streets playing instruments, it was like I was dropped in a scene of a movie. I think I could have stayed on that trolley and could have seen different things all day.

This picture was better than the one I took.


I think there is an internal instinct one gets when you are in a city that isn't safe when it time to leave...and well we got that feeling it was 3.

There is a cemetery on the Historical Registry that we wanted to see. It wasn't that far away so we headed there...The drive to the cemetery was like driving through parts of Detroit that are abandoned. Scary. I had second thoughts on our way there. Then we saw this.



It was like the heavens opened up and the light came down and the angels started singing! How on EARTH could this place exists in such a SCARY part of town. Considering this place has been around longer than most of Memphis...that is how. We got there at 4:15 and the gates close at 4:30! I was on overload and knew I had to come back.

How often does one come across a cemetery that had monuments like THIS!


I looked at Adam and he knew we were coming back. I was like a kid at Christmas time. He had to drag me back to the Car! So we started looking for hotels...and again we were out by 9...Old I tell you! We are OLD!

This time I was up and dressed for breakfast at 8...This girl had some where to BE! On our way to Elmwood there is a few more cemeteries that are not as "Historic" as Elmwood, but are as famous. Its called Forest Hill...Ring a bell??

How about now? You may know him as Elvis.

This is his mother's Original headstone. --This picture was taken in the 50's...I didn't take this picture just incase you were wondering.

This is all that remains. Basically a shrine. Love letters inside, glitter EVERYWHERE and kisses where someone had kissed the outside of the gate. Seriously people?? He isn't even there! He was reburied in a totally different part of town.! He is in Graceland for goodness sakes.

Forest Hill had this crypt up for auction and the starting bid was a cool 1 million. Then they had an influx of Crazy devoted fans demand they not sell it. So there it remains. Empty. (Just incase you are wondering I had NO IDEA Elvis and his mother were buried there...and really you wouldn't either if you just googled Forest Hill cemetery. Imagine the kind of money this place could bring in if it advertised that???)

Here is another fun one at Forest Hill. This guys name was at the very top of the box and it was taller than me. I have no idea who was in there...wasn't about to climb on it and find out.

These really are pieces of artwork. I think of the ones who built them and the hours of work it must have taken to carve those intricate leaves out. Amazing.


I think I could have just walked around this place all day if Adam would have let me. Not so much being around people who have passed, but enjoying the artwork and the magnificent history of our nation that has been left behind and forgotten.  





**Part two will be next. This post has gotten entirely to long.**


 photo signature_zps0d810f3f.jpg



1 comment